The School of Law of Xi’an Jiaotong University, China, has academic vacancies for Professors, Associate Professors and Lecturers-in-Law.
ABOUT THE THE SCHOOL OF LAW: The origin of the School of Law at Xi’an Jiaotong University (XJTU) traces to the earlier years of Nanyang Public College. Judge WANG Chung-hui (JSD, Yale University; the first Chinese Judge at the Permanent Court of International Justice), Judge Hsu Mo (the first Chinese Judge at the International Court of Justice) and Shutong Li (the earliest Chinese scholar who translated Private International Law textbooks), all studied at Nanyang and had made significant contributions to the development of China’s legal scholarship in the early years.
XJTU resumed its legal education in 1985. The School of Law is a pioneer in running the LLM programme in economic law in China. Formally established in 2008, XJTU School of Law is committed to building up a world-class “High-Level, Internationalised and Research-Oriented” law school. In 2011, Law became one of the Key Construction Disciplines of XJTU in its third phase of 985 Project, the national scheme to build up world class universities. In particular, the university is determined to build International Economic Law and Comparative Law into world-class subjects. In 2012, XJTU School of Law was selected as one of the 22 “National Outstanding Foreign-related Legal Personnel Education Centres”, as well as one of the 58 “National Outstanding Interdisciplinary Professional Legal Personnel Education Centres”; both are approved and funded by the Ministry of Education of the Chinese Central Government. Today, the integrated legal education system in the School of Law comprises PhD programmes (in Law and Governance), LLM programmes (in all areas of law), LLB programmes, as well as a practice-oriented Juris Master (JM) programme. The school of law at XJTU is a leading international law school in China with around 500 undergraduate and postgraduate students.
The School’s annual budget is around $ 1 million and it has over 40 academic staffs and 10 professional service staff.
SILK ROAD INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL AND COMPARATIVE LAW (SRIICL): The establishment of the Silk Road Institute for International and Comparative Law (SRIICL) of XJTU is an important step for the construction of a world-class ‘High-Level, Internationalized and Research-Oriented’ law school. It is one of the key social sciences centres of Xi’an Jiaotong University. Professor Wenhua Shan, the Director of SRIICL, is also the Dean of XJTU School of Law and the Ministry of Education Changjiang Chair Professor. The SRIICL has 5 professors, 3 associate professors, and 5 lecturers. Key members of the institution have all obtained PhD degrees in renowned Chinese or foreign universities and some of them held senior faculty positions overseas. SRIICL is committed to the promotion of the rule of law and the creation of an ‘innovative, excellent, open, harmonious’ research environment. SRIICL staff have published monographs and edited collections with international publishers such as Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press and Hart Publishing, and academic articles in international journals such as American Journal of Comparative Law, European Journal of International Law, ICSID Review, Journal of World Trade, Cambridge Law Journal and Modern Law Review, etc. SRIICL houses the editorial office of The Chinese Journal of Comparative Law, which is published under the auspices of the International Academy of Comparative Law by OUP.
SRIICL is well equipped with a first-class international law library, and has access to a rich collection of electronic databases, including Westlaw, LexisNexis and Hein-On-Line.
The school also hosts a Centre of Intellectual Property Law, and a Centre of Information Security Law, which promote interdisciplinary studies between law and science and information technology.
FACILITIES: The School is located in a professional, modern and magnificent building on the Xingqing Campus. The School is well equipped, with a first-class specialized International Law Library, a modern Computer Research & Experiment Centre, a newly furnished Moot Court Room, and four seminar rooms. Under construction is a comprehensive law school library.
CONTEXT: Xi’an Jiaotong University wishes to appoint up to 15 Professors/Associate Professors/Lecturers to the School of Law. The appointees will deliver research-led education that contribute to an exceptional student experience, top quality research outputs that contribute to impact and innovation, and expect to take on a significant leadership role in the organization in education and/or research. The persons appointed will report to the Dean of School.
Competitive salary and housing and other benefits will be offered to appointees. Any special needs or requirements may be met subject to negotiation with the university and the school.
The posts offer an exciting opportunity to exercise a leading role in enhancing collaborative activity and achievement, while developing their own expertise and career in a School committed to world-leading research and student education.
[Click on each button below to reveal more text!]
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The post-holder will be required to:
- Undertake internationally leading research and inspirational teaching, taking a leadership role in translating excellence in research and scholarship into learning opportunities for students.
- Profess and promote the discipline nationally and internationally, winning prestige for both the School and the University.
- Provide a major contribution to the strategic academic development, direction and leadership of the School, Faculty and University.
- Promote and help to deliver excellence in research and student education for the School and the highest standards of student experience.
- Support and mentor less experienced academic and research staff to promote career development and the nurturing of academic talent.
Student Education: With respect to student education, the post-holder will be required to:
- Inspire students through research-led teaching on undergraduate and postgraduate taught courses, achieving high standards of student feedback.
- Provide a leading contribution to School and, as appropriate, Faculty policy and practice in teaching, promoting world-class education and an exceptional student experience.
- Take a lead role in the design, development and planning of modules and programmes.
- Take a lead role in the review of modules and programmes and in quality assurance and enhancement processes within the subject area.
- Develop innovative approaches to learning and teaching.
- Provide high quality student support.
Research, Innovation and Impact: Regarding research, innovation and impact, the post-holder will be required to:
- Develop and lead excellent research, innovation and impact at national and international levels.
- Establish and maintain a high quality record of research output in leading internationally-recognised publications.
- Achieve sustained high levels of research funding individually and/or in collaboration with others and develop and maintain networks and promote links with Research Councils and external organisations.
- Provide academic leadership and guidance to colleagues working within own research area and more widely across the School, Faculty and University, building research teams and promoting the development of a vibrant and sustainable research culture, community and environment in the School.
- Attract high quality postgraduate research students to the University and provide them with excellent supervision which supports timely completion and subsequent employability.
- Build and sustain relationships with external bodies to develop the School’s innovation and impact agenda.
- Promote the integration of research interests within the School, across the University and externally.
Leadership and Management: In respect of leadership and management the postholder will be required to:
- Make a dynamic, ambitious, energetic contribution to the development and delivery of the School’s academic mission.
- Provide a major input to the strategic academic development and direction of the School and the Faculty and to the academic leadership of the discipline.
- Make a significant contribution to the University through its governance structures and by representing the University externally.
- Manage or lead major initiatives and/or multidisciplinary areas of work which improve School, Faculty or University performance.
Person Specification: Candidates for the professor will be expected to demonstrate appropriate levels of experience and skill to enable them to achieve the requirements of the job description. The following demonstrable qualifications, experience, skills and abilities will be required:
- a breadth and depth of academic expertise with strong personal research accomplishment;
- a PhD or other doctorate in a relevant discipline.
- understanding of the principles of research-led teaching and a track record of integrating research with learning and teaching to deliver an excellent student experience, and an ability to lead the development of a portfolio of modules.
- the ability to provide academic leadership in research both by one’s own work and through the encouragement and stimulation of colleagues.
- a track record of sustained delivery of ambitious and imaginative academic leadership.
- a proven record of excellence in publishing in recognized internationally peer reviewed journals.
- international links and evidence of effective engagement with and influencing national and international research agendas.
- ability to work across subject areas, linking appropriately with other disciplines and research groups.
- a track record of effective team working and collaborative development.
- willingness and capacity to take on a significant role in Faculty/School development.
- excellent organisational and communication skills.
- ability to think laterally, to be imaginative and to anticipate trends and opportunities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To contribute to the development and achievement of university, faculty and school strategy within the context of an international, research-led university.
- Adhere to University values and standards, including the Leadership and Management Standard, and in line with university policies and procedures and local faculty/school benchmarks as appropriate, upholding high professional standards and leading by example.
- To be aware of and work in line with the university’s learning and teaching partnership agreement and work with our students as members of a learning community to provide world class education and an excellent student experience.
- To maintain own continuing professional development.
- To maintain a safe and healthy work environment, including ensuring compliance with health and safety legislation and the undertaking of appropriate risk assessments.
Research, Innovation and Impact:
- To be recognised as an authority in the field, developing and maintaining an external profile as appropriate to the discipline.
- To pursue, develop and lead research, innovation and impact at an appropriately benchmarked level.
- To develop the strategic direction within own research area.
- To promote the integration of own research area with other research interests within and, as appropriate, outside the school and faculty.
- To maintain a high quality record of regular and original research publications of external standing as appropriate to the discipline.
- To attract research income on an individual and collaborative basis, as appropriate to the discipline, to underpin high quality research activity.
- To provide high quality postgraduate supervision and attract research students to the university.
- To take part in knowledge transfer activities, where appropriate and feasible.
- To undertake research-led teaching at different levels on undergraduate and/or postgraduate taught courses, regularly collecting, and responding to, student feedback.
- To contribute at an appropriate level to school and faculty policy and practice in teaching.
- To play a significant role in the design, development and planning of modules and programmes within the subject area as required.
- To play a significant role in the review of modules and programmes and in quality assurance and enhancement as required.
- To develop innovative approaches to learning and teaching as appropriate.
- To provide timely feedback and assessment of coursework and examinations.
- To provide general support and guidance to students, resolving issues and/or referring to specialist parties, where appropriate.
- Significant contribution to the overall work of the university and/ or equivalent external organisations by representing the school and faculty on appropriate committees and groups.
- Effective contribution to the management and administrative processes and committee structures of the school, faculty and university.
- Managing or leading major initiatives or areas of work (as either sustained or one-off projects) which facilitate school, faculty or university performance or business as required.
- Involvement in the recruitment, management and development of staff and act as a mentor to more junior/less experienced colleagues.
- The promotion of the values of collegiality within the academic community.
- A first degree and a doctorate in Law or relevant allied discipline (this includes work submitted for assessment, but not yet examined) or a relevant postgraduate qualification in Law with advanced research skills, training and experience.
- Significant teaching experience, including reviewing and developing the curriculum, developing and managing modules and programmes.
- Evidence of contributing to school/departmental policy and practice in teaching.
- Evidence of involvement in reviewing and developing the L&T/ student experience strategy at school/departmental level.
- Experience of providing support and guidance to students.
- Evidence of an understanding of current research and of having integrated into own teaching.
- Evidence of an established authority in the relevant discipline/ area.
- A sustained track record of generating research outputs of internationally excellent quality, including single or main author of refereed publications.
- Experience of successfully developing and managing major research projects.
- A track record of successfully obtaining external research funding.
- A clear research agenda that complements and/or adds to the research strengths of colleagues within the School/Department.
- A high level of interpersonal and communication skills, including writing skills and the ability to communicate effectively to an academic audience and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- A capacity to enthuse others and work successfully as a member of a team.
- Excellent leadership and management skills.
- Experience of leading on projects and initiatives, including managing resources and/or staff.
- Good IT skills.
- An ability to work effectively, responsibly and independently and to work under pressure.
- Good organisational skills, including the ability to manage time effectively and prioritise tasks.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To contribute to the scholarship and intellectual life of the School by conducting research which will enhance the School’s high reputation as a research-led teaching institution.
- To publish research in books and articles in refereed journals is particularly encouraged.
- To engage in such teaching as the Head of Department may require, including core undergraduate teaching. The range of teaching duties may change from time to time.
- To take responsibility for the quality of teaching delivered and as necessary seek further training, guidance and skills development to ensure that standards are maintained and improved.
- To accept responsibility within the School; this involves departmental administrative responsibilities in respect of student services, student recruitment and advice as well as participating in aspects of School governance on School committees.
- A PhD or other doctorate in a relevant discipline.
- Evidence of strong research potential, such as a record of scholarly research and publication in peer reviewed journals.
- A strategy for future research and publications.
- Evidence of good communication skills.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: The Professors/Associate Professors/lectures will be appointed in accordance with university procedures. Application should consist of a CV accompanied by a brief covering letter addressing the criteria in the person specification, and two references. These should be emailed to: email@example.com
Interested persons are welcomed to contact Professor Wenhua Shan (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make informal enquiries.